Here are our quick top ten tips for saving money when selling your home……
- Set a budget – to ensure that costs don’t escalate set yourself a realistic budget based and stick to it
- Market the property yourself – with estate agency costs coming in at anywhere between 0.75% and 4% of the total sale price, marketing the property could literally save you thousands of pounds. (If you do choose this route make sure you do lots of research, you don’t want your property stuck on the market without a buyer)
- Shop around – you don’t have to use the Solicitor your Estate Agent recommends, by shopping around you could save up to £500 on the cost of your legal fees as you won’t be paying any referral fees. However, be wary of very cheap conveyancing quotes as they could end up costing more than you think.
- Negotiate – the initial quotes you receive from Estate Agents, Solicitors, Removal Companies etc. don’t have to be the price you end up paying – in the current climate everyone wants your work, so don’t be afraid to haggle over the cost
- Declutter – The majority of removal companies will charge you based on your volume of belongings, by selling, donating and skipping what you no longer need or want you could save yourself a good couple of hundred pounds on the cost of your removals
- Do your own removals – you can hire a van for as little as £50 a day from your local charity (try YMCA) and by doing the actual moving yourself you could save up to a £1000 or more
- Instruct your own EPC – Every property that goes on the market requires an Energy Performance Certificate before being marketed for sale, by getting your own you can save up £30-£50 when compared to getting one through your agent
- Do your own conveyancing – Not one for the feint- hearted but it is possible to do your own conveyancing when you are only selling your property, this could see you saving £1000 or more in legal costs
- No sale, no fee – with one in three sales falling through, ensure that any services you agree to are on a no sale, no fee basis to prevent you being charged abortive costs should the sale not proceed
- Use a Move Planner! – Your personal Move Planner has already negotiated preferential rates for all services you need as part of your sale. They also manage the whole process for you, saving you a great deal of time and stress. By using a Move Planner you could save £1500 or more on the total cost of your sale, meaning that their services are effectively free!
By implementing all of the above you could save a whopping £5000 on the cost of selling your house.